thyroid & Parathyroid:surgery for goitre
Types of goiter
- Diffuse smooth goiter: This occurs when the entire thyroid swells.
- Nodular goiter: A lump develops on the thyroid. These are extremely common. …
- Retrosternal goiter: This type of goiter can grow behind the breastbone.
The degree of swelling and the severity of symptoms produced by the goiter depends on the individual.Most goiters produce no symptoms. When symptoms do occur, the following are most common:
- throat symptoms of tightness, cough, and hoarseness
- trouble swallowing
- in severe cases, difficulty breathing, possibly with a high-pitch sound
Other symptoms may be present because of the underlying cause of the goiter, but they are not because of the goiter itself. For example, an overactive thyroid can cause symptoms such as:
- increased sweating
- heat hypersensitivity
- increased appetite
- weight loss
In cases where goiter is a result of hypothyroidism, the underactive thyroid can cause symptoms such as:
- cold intolerance
- personality changes
- hair loss
- weight gain
- Most simple goiters are preventable through adequate intake of iodine, which is added to table salt in many countries. A range of iodine supplements are available for purchase online.
- Active treatment of goiter is reserved for cases that cause symptoms. If the goiter is small and thyroid function is normal, treatment is not usually offered.
- Dr. Shilpi Sharma best parathyroid doctor in gurgaon.